DSF MAYDAY 2024
The goal of the Data Science Festival is Data Science for all. We are a community-driven organisation and as we grow our community, we rely on volunteers like you to help us. We are very passionate about what we do and we hope you are too.
Please note if you are unable to make your volunteer shift let us know immediately.
Please note that all volunteers need to make their way to the venue and unfortunately we are unable to reimburse any travel or accommodation required for the event.
Emergency contact number for the day: 07852804440 (Lizzie Hunt, Event Manager)
For any questions on the day, please find Shannon Maughan or Charlotte Heggie, who are heading up our volunteers. As well as this, all of our staff have badges so you can see who is who!
Key people who may contact you on Slack:
Shannon Maughan – Event Assistant at DSF
Please download Slack on your phone so the DSF can contact you when you are in the conference rooms.
Date: Saturday 18th May 2024
Time: 8:15 AM – 18:00 PM (sessions run from 9:00 AM – 16:45 PM)
Venue: CodeNode, 10 South Pl, London, EC2M 7EB, United Kingdom
Venue Contact Number: +44 (0) 207 183 9040
Friday 17th May 2024 PM (14:00 – 17:30 PM)
Saturday 18th May 2024 AM (7:30 AM – 13:00 PM)
Saturday 18th May 2024 PM (14:00 – 18:00 PM) – Please be aware that this shift involves more physical/manual labour-type work.
– Arrive on time for your scheduled volunteer shift.
– Wear a DSF Volunteer t-shirt provided by us.
– Follow instructions and treat your fellow volunteers, attendees, and the DSF staff with respect.
– Dress code – Smart casual, please wear comfortable shoes, you will thank us!
– If you have questions or ideas please speak up! We value everyone’s input.
– Have fun!
You will be sent your duties at the start of May 2024. This is just an idea of what jobs we will be doing on the set-up or day of the event.
Friday Set Up:
– Put badges into cases.
– Set up registration.
– Help to put up and place venue banners.
– Arrange the swag and giveaway boxes.
– All MCs will be contacted separately.
– MCs will be assigned a room for the day and introduce speakers to the audience.
– They will be given information sheets before the event with all the details of the speakers and their talks.
– MCs will also be given countdown signs to keep speakers on track and any notices at the start of the day.
– Help with any microphones and with questions if needed.
– If a room is at capacity, please reassure attendees that all talks are recorded and will be made available to them free of charge. They will be able to view that talk at their leisure and not miss anything. We cannot have anyone stand at the back of the rooms due to health and safety.
– Please make sure that once the room is full, make sure no one else enters and doors are closed once the room is full (unless the speaker asks to keep the door open). Please do not lock the door, just close it!
Registration Desk & Handing out SWAG:
– We aim to channel attendees into rows, which are signposted by alphabetised surnames.
– Giving attendees alphabetised badges with lanyards. Find badges by SURNAME and give out a lanyard.
– Let them know a printed schedule is in their swag bag.
– Send them to pick up a bag from the swag team.
– If a badge cannot be found, send them to the Resolution Centre desk to find/print.
– Help individual DSF staff members set up activities; such as showing sponsors to their tables and handing out swag, and any last-minute details.
– Handing out swag bags to attendees.
Breaking down at the end of the day:
– At the end of the day, we need help packing all our event supplies away. We start doing this when the last session begins.
Friday 17th May 2024
14:00 – 17:30 PM – Set up
Saturday 18th May 2024
7:30 AM – Set up
8:00 – 9:00 AM – Registration
9:00 – 10:30 AM – Speaker sessions
10:30 – 11:00 AM – Coffee break
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM – Speaker sessions
12:00 – 12:30 PM – Lunch for sponsors
12.30 – 13:15 PM – Lunch for attendees
13:15 – 14:45 PM – Speaker sessions
14:45 – 15:15 PM – Coffee break
15:15 – 16:45 PM – Speaker sessions
16:00 – 18:00 PM – Breaking down
Lunch this year will be sponsored by Data Idols. There will be vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Where do I check in?
Please check in at the registration desk on the top floor. Find a member of the DSF team to check you in and provide you with a volunteer t-shirt. Please change into your T-shirt.
Friday PM shift – Sign it at 14:00 PM at registration, where you will be given your instructions for the day. Please sign out at the end of your shift.
Saturday AM shift – Sign in at 7.30 AM at registration and collect your badge. We will provide you with your t-shirt and instructions for the day. Please sign in at the beginning of your shift and out again at the end. At the end of your shift at 13:00 PM, you are welcome to stay for the rest of the event.
Saturday PM shift – You are welcome to attend the morning of the event. Please go to registration and collect your badge for the day. When your shift starts at 14:00 PM, please sign in, and receive your t-shirt and instructions for the day. Please sign out at the end of your shift.
Please note that if you do not turn up to your shift, you will not be invited back to the event.
Is there a staff room?
There is a Staff Room labelled as ‘BACKSTAGE’ on the floor plan, this is on the ground floor behind the CTRL stage, where you can store your bags and coats. Please do not leave valuables in this room as it will be accessed by all the volunteers and staff. As this room is behind the stage, please note that this will be a silent area but you can chat during lunch and coffee breaks. Please note this is a different room than previous years. There will also be pastries, fruit and bars in this area which you are welcome to have for breakfast or snacks during the day!
Will lunch be provided on Saturday?
Lunch will be provided, and you can use the staff room to eat.
Please check with Charlotte or Shannon on the day to find out when your assigned lunch break will be.
Water is free and available at all times in the main networking area and in every session room. There will also be two coffee breaks, where free tea and coffee will be provided.
If you have any dietary requirements please let us know ahead of time so we can reserve you any specialty meals. Email this to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there WiFi?
Yes, there is free WiFi available.
How do I get to the venue?
Via tube/train: The nearest underground stations are Moorgate and Liverpool Street stations. Both stations are on the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines. Moorgate is also on the Northern Line, and Liverpool Street is on the Central Line.
In addition, Liverpool Street Station is a major overland train station connecting CodeNode directly with the outer London regions and the rest of the UK.
To reach CodeNode from Moorgate Station, exit Moorgate Station, turn right onto Moorgate, and turn right again onto South Place. Walk down on South Place until you reach number 10 on your right.
Via bicycle: For cyclists, there is a Santander Cycles Hire docking station just outside our venue on South Place.
Via car: If you want to commute by car to CodeNode, NCP Finsbury Square offers an ideal parking spot. Located beneath the lawn bowls green, you’re only a short walk from CodeNode, Moorgate and Old Street. CodeNode is also serviced by a large loading bay, should you require deliveries or unloading. You can also check out Parkopedia for details of nearby parking.
Is there disability access at the venue?
The entrance to the venue is on ground level and there is a lift inside to access the lower ground floor. There are disabled toilets within the venue. We also reserve a couple of seats on the front row in each speaker room for anyone requiring this. The venue also allows guide dogs at the event.
Any questions please email email@example.com.
On the day if you have any emergencies please call the events team on +44 7852 804440.